“I’m a writer, but I regularly find myself staring at a blank screen. Where do I find inspiration?” The answer is – EVERYWHERE! But for this week let’s talk about finding inspiration in song lyrics.
I don’t typically listen to music when I write, but I had some tedious POV swapping to do, and I didn’t want to get the editing bug. So, I turned on Disturbed radio on Pandora to distract me enough to focus… Does that make sense?
Anywho… “Sound of Silence” came on and I instantly stopped editing to listen to the lyrics. “Hello, darkness, my old friend. I’ve come to talk with you again…” (Sound of Silence – Disturbed.) And so the song goes. Let’s just say I’ve sung this song louder than I’d like to admit, countless times, but when I actually listened, I was shocked at how well the words encompassed the entirety of my book!
It got me thinking about how inspirational lyrics can be. I decided to compile this list of 10 writing prompts using song lyrics.
I have to make a disclaimer here and say DO NOT actually use the lyrics in your work, it can become a hairy situation with copyright but, here we go.
- “Hush little baby don’t say a word and never mind that noise you heard…” Enter Sandman – Metallica
- “I wanna follow where she goes, I think about her, and she knows it…” There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back – Shawn Mendes
- “The club isn’t the best place to find a lover. So the bar is where I go…” Shape of you – Ed Sheeran
- “We were willing, we came when you called but, then you fooled us, enough is enough…” What About Us – Pink
- “I am machine, a part of me wishes I could just feel something…” I Am Machine – Three Days Grace
- “You say I’m paranoid, but I’m pretty sure the world is out to get me…” Heavy – Linkin Park
- “There I was again tonight forcing laughter, faking smiles, same old tired, lonely place…” Enchanted – Taylor Swift
- “I admit I made mistakes, but yours might cost you everything…” Talking to myself – Linkin Park
- “Just the other day I wrote down all the things I’d say but I couldn’t…” In Case You Didn’t Know -Brett Young
- “I knew it was gonna be a long night from the moment when we locked eyes over whiskey and ice…” Hurricane – Luke Combs
BONUS: (Because it’s what’s currently playing)
“My eyes don’t need to see that ugly thing, I know it’s me you fear…” Remedy – Seether
It’s pretty amazing how much inspiration you can find right in front of you. You just need to look and listen. I would LOVE to read some of the stories you come up with using these prompts. Please, please, please share with me!
I hope I provided a bit of inspiration and please let me know if you would like more prompts like these.